roasted spaghetti squash with mushrooms, garlic and sage
Roasted Spaghetti Squash with mushrooms, garlic and sage- a flavorful and healthy low-carb meal that feels like a comforting pasta dish! Perfect for fall! Keep it vegan or add grated Romano cheese!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: Main, low carb, paleo, vegan, vegetarian
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: northwest
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs)
- 1 Tablespoon butter ( optional, or just use olive oil)
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 12– 16 ounces sliced mushrooms – cremini, shiitake or chanterelles
- 4–6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh torn sage (substitute with Thyme)
- salt and pepper to taste
- generous pinch nutmeg
- ¼ cup grated Romano cheese (or Parmesan) OPTIONAL
- drizzle olive – optional
- toasted pine nuts – optional but delicious!
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Cut spaghetti squash in half (either way) and place open side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 40 minutes-50 minutes – or microwave for 12 minutes.
- While squash is baking, heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté onions until just tender about 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms , turn heat to medium and saute until they begin to release their liquid,about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sage and continue cooking until mushrooms brown, about 4 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper and nutmeg.
- Check squash, by piercing with the tip of a sharp knife to see if it’s done.
- When tender, take out of the oven, turn over and let it cool slightly until cool enough to handle, then scoop out seeds. Scoop out the spaghetti squash into the saute pan with the mushrooms and stir to incorporate. Taste for salt, and add more if necessary. Stir in most of grated cheese, saving some for garnish. Place in a serving bowl, top with remaining cheese and a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkling of pine nuts.