Grower = BioPark, SA
Red Russian Kale has flat, fringed leaves that resemble big oak leaves, large arugula leaves, or the outer leaves of a mature cabbage. Its leaves can have a red tinge and a reddish-purple tinge to the stems, and has a great flavor that is described as sweet and mild with a little bit of pepperiness. Although Red Russian Kale is one of the sweetest kales, be sure to remove as much of the stems as possible before cooking.
Being a nutritional powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, and disease fighting antioxidants, all varieties of kale offer an incredible amount of health benefits.
- Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants such as carotenoids and flavonoids to help protect against various cancers.
- On its own, kale is a low calorie food that is high in fiber and has zero fat. Fun fact: one cup of kale leaves has only 36 calories, offers 5 grams of fiber, and 0 grams of fat. Because it’s a good source of fiber, kale is a great leafy vegetable for aiding in digestion and intestinal cleansing.
- High in iron that’s good for proper liver function and per calorie, kale has more iron than beef!
- Per calorie, kale offers more calcium than milk.
- Kale is high in vitamin A – good for vision and skin. Vitamin C – helpful for your immune system, metabolism, and for hydration. Vitamin K – for protection against various cancers.
- …and so much more!