Grower = BioPark, SA
Curly Kale or Green Kale is probably the most recognizable kale sold in bunches at your local grocery store. It is usually bright or dark green or purple in color, has tight ruffled leaves and fibrous stalks that can be difficult to chop, but easy to tear if fresh. It has a noticeable pungent flavor with peppery and bitter qualities, so seek out younger looking leaves for less bitterness.
Being a nutritional powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, and disease fighting antioxidants, all varieties of kale offer an incredible amount of health benefits.
- Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants such as carotenoids and flavonoids to help protect against various cancers.
- On its own, kale is a low calorie food that is high in fiber and has zero fat. Fun fact: one cup of kale leaves has only 36 calories, offers 5 grams of fiber, and 0 grams of fat. Because it’s a good source of fiber, kale is a great leafy vegetable for aiding in digestion and intestinal cleansing.
- High in iron that’s good for proper liver function and per calorie, kale has more iron than beef!
- Per calorie, kale offers more calcium than milk.
- Kale is high in vitamin A – good for vision and skin. Vitamin C – helpful for your immune system, metabolism, and for hydration. Vitamin K – for protection against various cancers.
- …and so much more!